Monday, October 5, 2009

Crunch Time

On Thursday my boss Ryan called together a "let's make sure we're all on the same track" meeting...here we laid out everything that has to be done within the next week and goals up to December, and boy, do we have a lot of work to do-- op-eds, case studies, and research assessment ready for our expert advisory team-- and that's just the next two weeks! Our final report, including an assessment with conceptual framework and a book of case studies, needs to be done before their trip to Europe in December. Needless to say, I wish I could be there more days a week to help get everything done--so much to do so little time!

After going through our letters to experts and letters to the leadership committee and letters to European experts, I have started to get used to the language used and etiquette needed when speaking to people of importance...first and most importantly, suck up. If you have any way of complimenting the person, do it because it increases the chances of them being willing to help. I have definitely learned the importance of complimenting someone you want to work for you. Every time I find some piece of information or get a chart or graph or anything really both of my bosses are extremely complimentary, which makes me want to work more and more for them. I'm even beginning to get compliments from people who I'm not working with in the office...major ego booster!

This week I also found myself acting like a giddy school girl after being contacted by Julian Lindley-French himself (through e-mail, but hey, whatever!). You may be asking who this man is...well, Lindley-French works with the Atlantic Council and is a professor of military arts and sciences at the Royal Military Academy of the Netherlands....I know, I'm such a geek, right?

Anyway, that was pretty much my week! Lots of research and writing! I'm sure there's more to come so check back next week to see if we got everything we needed done! Whether that will happen or not, I don't know, but I really do hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment